“Calvinism” (so-called “Reformed” Protestantism) is yet another set of man-made theology and doctrines chock full of false teachings literally from start to finish, which are shouted from the pulpits with extreme force and volume today. While there may have been good and noble intentions of this teaching when it evolved (I don’t know, I wasn’t there), it nonetheless is deceiving millions today, giving them a false sense of eternal security, which is in contradiction with what the Bible actually teaches about the importance of persevering in faith in particular.
The false teachings are based on the “five points” of Calvinism, often given the name “TULIP” (as the first letter in each of these false teachings):
- “Total Depravity” – This teaching claims that humans (and children) are all born sinful (although I can see how they might have arrived at this conclusion by looking around at how people act). This is just a fancy name for the “original sin” false teaching described above (please see that for a more complete rebuttal, as it’s very important to understand),
- “Unconditional Election” (i.e. Predestination) – This teaching claims that God “predestines” all those who will be saved, and also all those who will be lost before time began and there is nothing anyone can do or really does to “choose” their destiny out of free will. This is contrary to the clear free will God gives all people. See the Predestination false teaching above for more information.
- “Limited Atonement” – this claims that Christ didn’t die for the sins of everyone, He ONLY died for the sins of those who were (predestined) to be saved. This is in contradiction to the Scripture clearly saying that man has free will and also that God wishes that “all” men would come to repentance! They make this claim on the basis that they think God wouldn’t “waste” Jesus’ blood on those who were predestined to be lost. Friend, Jesus died for the sins of all men, and when they stand before Christ on Judgment Day, they will SEE AND KNOW that Christ died for them also, had they chosen to accept Him. This is so that all men will be without excuse on that day. Do you really think that the Lord would allow anyone to stand up on that Day of Judgment and say: “See, even if I had believed in your Son, He didn’t die for my sins, so I wouldn’t have been saved anyway!”? It will be very clear to all at that time, and everyone will be without excuse of any kind; if they are condemned to hell, it will have been by their own choice, not that “Jesus did not die for them”.
- “Irresistible Grace” – Another false teaching tied to the Unconditional Election/Predestination false teaching that says no one can “resist” the will of God. Apparently, we are all robots according to Calvinism, devoid of free will to choose, or reject Christ.
- “Perseverance of the Saints” – this is the fancy name they give to the “once saved always saved” false teaching discussed above.
As you can see, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE PILLARS OF CALVINISM IS A FALSE TEACHING! This Calvinism is a complete “house of mirrors” bag of doctrinal errors and horror tricks. Please don’t just accept my word on this, but go do your own Bible study, diligently, and seek out the truth. That’s what I had to do.
Don’t get me wrong, I also believed in the “Calvinism” teachings myself for many years; for 1) it’s the only thing I ever heard preached, promoted or published, and 2) it all sounds very convincing and “Biblical” on the surface.
However, the way Calvinism obtains its doctrine is by picking and choosing some verses in Scripture and making an interpretation of those verses, but then ignoring the fact that their interpretation is in DIRECT CONTRADICTION to (many) other verses in Scripture! But friends, you just cannot do that! You must consider Scripture in aggregate. If your interpretation of one verse is in contradiction to other clear and directly obvious verses, then it’s YOUR INTERPRETATION that is wrong, not Scripture. This is very analogous to the way Satan deceived Adam and Even in the Garden of Eden, and how “cults and ism’s” deceive millions (even billions) today!
While we’re on the subject, very frankly there’s no need to reform any part of Christianity as defined in the New Testament, so if one is following Scripture to begin with, there is no need to be “reformed” at all. And as you’ve seen, “reformed” Protestantism is as chock full of doctrinal errors as many other “cults” and the deception of Popery, which it was created to “reform”.